While travel is severely curtailed, we ask can you still hire a car in the UK as Covid-19 continues to spread?
Here is the information you need to hire a vehicle in lockdown.
Can I still hire a car in the January lockdown Covid-19 areas? (Credit: Photo by Norma Mortenson from Pexels)
Can vehicle hire businesses stay open in the January lockdown?
- Petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes,
vehicle repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and
vehicle hire businesses
Is it safe to hire a car in the Covid-19 pandemic?
What areas of a hire car should I clean myself during the pandemic?
- Key and key fob
- Centre console
- Cupholders and compartments
- Instrument panels and buttons
- Steering wheel
- Door interiors and pockets
- Door handles - both inside and out
What are the travel rules for using a hire car during the Covid-19 pandemic?
There are guidelines for travelling in taxis and private hire vehicles.
When car sharing, you should only travel in groups of no more than 6 people, or 2 households, unless you are travelling for a reason that is exempt.
You can protect yourself and those you are sharing a car with by:
- sharing the car with the same people each time and, where possible, only with members of your household or support bubble
- minimising the group size at any one time
- opening windows for ventilation
- travelling side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
- facing away from each other
- considering seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
- cleaning your car between journeys using standard cleaning products – make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
- asking the driver and passengers to wear a face covering
Most read motoring content
Take a look at more of our top motoring-related content here...
- How to spot a fake undercover police car
- Will I get a 7-month extension to my driving licence photocard?
- Will I get a 6-month extension to my MOT
- Will I get a speeding ticket after being flashed
- Do I need an international driving permit for France and Spain
- Secret parking offences you're committing revealed
- Alternative routes for beating jams on the M25
- Alternative routes for the M1 motorway
- Alternative routes for the M6 motorway
- How old are my tyres - find out instantly here
- What are the black dots on my windscreen for?
- Are my sunglasses legal for driving?
Professionally written and optimised content will bring new, targeted customers to your website. Contact Pete@petebarden.co.uk