Do cars have to pay the Portsmouth Clean Air Zone?


Many people driving cars into Portsmouth to see one of the many attractions such as HMS Victory, or visiting Fratton Park for a football match are likely to see Clean Air Zone signs on the city’s streets - as they are in cities such as Bristol and Oxford – but will they need to pay a charge or face a fine? We have the answers.

Here motoring journalist and expert Pete Barden takes a look at what the Portsmouth Clean Air Zone is, and who will need to pay a charge for driving within it.

Do I pay the Portsmouth CAZ?Do you need to pay the Portsmouth CAZ.  (Photo:

How much is the Portsmouth CAZ charge?

Vehicle Type Daily Charge
Private cars, motorcycles and vans No charge in Portsmouth
Non compliant taxis and private hire vehicles £10 per day
Non-compliant HGVs, buses and coaches £50 per day

What is the fine for not paying?

The Portsmouth CAZ must be paid by 11.59 on the evening of the sixth day after the vehicle was driven in the clean air zone. There are no reminders sent out, so it is up to the vehicle driver to remember to pay.

Anyone forgetting to pay the charge will receive a penalty notice for £120 cut to £60 if paid within 14 days

Where does the CAZ cover in Portsmouth?

The area covered by the CAZ can be seen by taking a look at the detailed maps  here.

How to pay the Portsmouth CAZ daily charge?

The charge for vehicles that qualify for the daily CAZ charge in Portsmouth can be paid using this central government payment system. You will need the vehicle registration number.

How do I pay the charge if applicable?

You can pay the CAZ charge by cash, cheque, postal order or a debit or credit card using the following methods:

  • Use this link to pay a Penalty Charge Notice online using a debit or credit card
  • phone 0800 876 6576 for our 24-hour automated payment system
  • pay in person at the Civic Offices or at one of our area housing offices – addresses and maps are available on our Contacts Directory page
  • send a cheque or postal order – not cash – to the parking office (address below). Please write the PCN number on the back of your cheque/postal order and make it payable to ‘Portsmouth City Council’

Subscribe for free motoring and travel news here - support independent journalism 

* indicates required

Do motorhomes have to pay?

Some motorhomes do fall under the reach of the Portsmouth CAZ, so make sure you use the vehicle checker lower down this page to see if your vehicle will be charged.

Will drivers need to pay if driving to Portsmouth Harbour ferry port?

With many drivers heading for Europe or even the Isle Of Wight, many will be concerned about having to pay the charge if driving a lorry, taxi, coach or motorhome. However, if heading to the port from outside the city, it is possible to reach the ferry terminals without entering the Portsmouth CAZ - so no charges will be made. Check the maps linked above to plan your route avoiding the charging zone.

Are any vehicles exempt?

Some non-compliant vehicles are exempt, so check the website here to find out about Portsmouth CAZ exemptions.

How can I check if I need to pay the charge?

You can use the Government checker tool to see if you are liable to pay the Portsmouth CAZ charge for your vehicle. The Portsmouth CAZ operates 

Latest motoring news

Take a look at more of our top motoring-related content here...

facebook sharing button Share
twitter sharing button Tweet
pinterest sharing button Pin
email sharing button Email
sms sharing button Share
sharethis sharing button Share


Author: Pete Barden:

Twitter: @pete_barden

Pete Barden is a qualified journalist who has written and produced for publications including The Sun (, New Statesman Media Group, Whatcar? ( Stuff Magazine (, Fastcar Magazine (, Maxim Magazine and UK broadcast stations within the Heart network (Formerly GCAP). Pete specialises in motoring and travel content, along with news and production roles. You can find out more about Pete Barden on LinkedIn.

 About us: Pete Barden Motoring and Travel News

See our privacy page here